Wednesday, March 22, 2006

About CaptnSaj

Captains’ Blog, started 3-22-06

As you can already guess, I happen to like Star Trek (not The Original Series, though, and definitely not the latest franchise disaster Enterprise).

I was born in 1981 in Baghdad, Iraq (making me 24 as of the year 2005 if you’re a little rusty on math). My parents came to the US a long time ago to get an education. The Iraqi-Iran war broke out, my parents stayed, and here I am.

I graduated high school in 1999. I went to college for 5 years and got 2 degrees – a BS in Computer Science and a BS in Biological Science (a “BS in BS” is what my friends who are Bio majors and can’t get into med school or can’t find a job call it – but I enjoyed my classes). Oh, I also got my CCNA (Cisco certification) and took a class for EMT (Emergency Medical Technician). I am in medical school right now, just trying to get by.

I suppose I should be studying instead of blogging, but I have always been a habitual multi-tasker - I guess it’s from my computer background (I proudly proclaim to be a computer geek).

After high school, I got a job as a student computer guy and troubleshooted computers for about a year. Then I got a full time job as a contractor with Kmart in their massive store-wide computer upgrade. My contract ended three short months later, just before they filed for bankruptcy (I am still kicking myself for not buying their stock at the time – it went down to under $0.60 a share, and a few years later back to $6+ and now they merged with Sears).

My next job was a network admin with a small-midsize company. I spent two years there, learning a whole lot about networks, servers, computers, and corporations. I realized that my potential was better spent on something more challenging – medical school. So I quit my job, switched majors to BS, got a lab job on campus, applied, and here I am – on my way to being a doctor (or so I hope).

You’re probably wondering why I am “Captain”. Well, the main reason is that I am a fan of Star Trek, so it’s like of like a joke. Sometimes I take the lead on projects or activities. In high school, I had a job in a retirement home dinning hall and I was the dinning room captain (an official position) for about a year.

During my spare time (before I started blogging), I like to catch up on the latest news. Political news bores me, and sometimes stresses me out – that goes double for tragic news (robberies, murders, etc…). But I love to read science news – any kind of science - anything from renewable energy, to health, to the latest gadgets and toys. I also go to the gym in my futile attempt to lose weight and get in shape. While there, I read a book that I heard about – science related, of course.

Now that Paramount has bagged Star Trek, my new favorite series is Stargate, both flavors. I admit, though, that I never get sick of Star Trek reruns that they air on Spike TV and G4 (The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, of course).

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading my thoughts and insights. Feel free to post comments and invite others.

Enjoy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Multiply the traffic to your website... FREE
 Blog Top Sites