Thursday, March 23, 2006

Captain’s Book Review – Intro

I have recently discovered the wonders of reading books. To be honest, I have never been a book reader. Well, actually, in the 3rd grade I read a whole bunch of books and won an award at our library’s summer reading program. Books were much simpler when you’re that young – now they don’t have pictures.

I have once again tuned into my reading ability. I am now reading 3-4 books per month. I read them when I go to them gym, while on the elliptical and treadmill. Some find it hard to read while exercising. I have to admit, it slows my reading down, but I am killing two birds with one stone – increasing my knowledge and intellect, and getting in shape. Reading a good book makes 90 minutes of exercise go by in what seems like 10.

I learn about these books mainly from interviews with the authors on NPR – so far it’s been through listening to archived Dianne Rheem shows. During my time in the lab I used to work in, I would download and listen to the discussion while I was crunching away at PET image statistical data on massive Excel spreadsheets. I also use “books that might interest you…” tool on Amazon to find books.

Here are a list of book I have read so far, so keep an eye out for reviews I am going to be posting soon (before I forget what the book was about). Of course, I will be posting new book reviews all the time as I read them, so check back frequently. Feel free to suggest a book or share your thoughts on the book (after I write the review, please).

Ok, here is that list: (Click on the link to go to my review post)

“The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology” by Ray Kurzweil

“The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe” by Stephen Hawking

“The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Computer Intelligence” by Ray Kurzweil

“Fear and Other Uninvited Guests: Tackling the Anxiety, Fear, and Shame That Keep Us from Optimal Living and Loving” by Harriet Lerner

“The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less” by Barry Schwartz

"The Green Pharmacy Anti-Aging Prescriptions : Herbs, Foods, and Natural Formulas to Keep You Young" by James A. Duke

“Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human” by Joel Garreau

Enjoy

UPDATE:
Here is a list of books that I have finished reading after originally publishing the post:


"Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential" by Joel Osteen
Finished reading on April 5, 2006

"Freakonomics : A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything" by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner
Finished reading on April 11, 2006

"Culture and Prosperity : Why Some Nations Are Rich but Most Remain Poor" by John Kay
Finished reading on April 26, 2006.

"Natural cures 'they' don't want you to know about" by Trudeau, Kevin
Finished reading on May 11, 2006.

"Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever" by Ray Kurzweil, Terry Grossman
Currently reading - been waiting a long time to read this book, the library finally ordered it for me.

"Critical Condition: How Health Care in America Became Big Business--and Bad Medicine" by Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steele
Checked out from the library, on my list to read.

"SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life" by Steven G. Pratt and Kathy Matthews
Checked out from the library, on my list to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Multiply the traffic to your website... FREE
 Blog Top Sites