Monday, June 04, 2007

Voice Recognition Software: a Godsend or a Hassle?

While studying form the boards, I found myself taking pages and pages of notes -- I think in all I must have hand written over a hundred pages. It helped me learn the material, but it has one small problem: it really hurts my hand. Along with the constant mouse usage, I found I was developing a mild case Of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I decided it was time for a change. So why are acquired a copy of Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9.

I remember when voice recognition software was still new. It was very frustrating, you would end up correcting a lot more than was worth. But I got to tell you, this new version is really good. I don't know how they do it but so far this thing is very accurate. In fact this entire entry was dictated through the software, so forgive any mistakes I may have missed.

It takes a little bit getting used to, and a little bit of training, but in the end I think it's well worth it. I think part of its success stems from the fact that they use writing pattern and recognition that analyzes your pattern of writing and somehow incorporates your style of writing in to its dictation. This is only to second document that I dictated what the software and yet I have only had to make a handful of corrections.

Voice recognition software is being used more and more in the medical field. Seeing that I'm going to be a doctor soon (I hope) and that means that getting used to using voice recognition software now will be a big advantage in the field.

Most of all, though, I think it's way cool. I remember the first time I saw an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation and thinking "wouldn't it be great if we had the ability to talk to computers so easily as they make it seem?"

Now, if only the computers or understand what the heck we were saying. In the next few decades, who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Multiply the traffic to your website... FREE
 Blog Top Sites